- Deprecated function: Methods with the same name as their class will not be constructors in a future version of PHP; views_display has a deprecated constructor in require_once() (line 3139 of /var/www/rmcbangalore.com/includes/bootstrap.inc).
- Deprecated function: Methods with the same name as their class will not be constructors in a future version of PHP; views_many_to_one_helper has a deprecated constructor in require_once() (line 113 of /var/www/rmcbangalore.com/sites/all/modules/ctools/ctools.module).
You are here
Holy Ghost Church, Bangalore
Holy Ghost Church — the spiritual hub of Richards Town, Bengaluru — was set up as a canonical unit of the Catholic Church in the Archdiocese of Bangalore in 1953. Today, it is the largest parish in Bengaluru’s
Cantonment area. Holy Ghost Church was born out of the vision to meet the spiritual needs of the people living in Richards Town and the surrounding area that the then Superior of the Congregation ofthe Most Holy Redeemer, Fr Matthew Hickey, conceived in 1951.
Prior to the building of the church, the Redemptorists (a Roman Catholic missionary congregation founded by Saint Alphonsus Liguori in Italy), resided in a small building at John Armstrong Road. The need for a larger church was felt and Fr Matthew Hickey went ahead with the idea of building a new church and even constructed a seminary to house aspiring Redemptorists.
The design of the church and the seminary was developed by Stanley Fernando, a young architect. This project, was met with many obstacles. However, the founding priests persevered relentlessly and with the support of many benefactors, it was completed in 1953. On May 24, 1953, Archbishop AS Colas, of Pondicherry, blessed and opened Holy Ghost Church on Pentecost Sunday,thefeast ofthe Patron.